For Takedown compatibility:
- Scoring matches requires iOS 9.x or higher
- Video recording requires iOS 11.x or higher
Other things to consider:
- In the 2020-2021 season we are planning on increasing the minimum iOS requirement for scoring to 11.x.
- iPads vary in cost. A used iPad Air 2 (1st gen, 32 GB) is available for approx. $180. A new iPad Pro with lots of on-device storage is more than $1,000.
- iPads vary in size. An iPad Mini is easier to lug around a tournament than an enormous iPad Pro.
- iPads vary in on-device storage. More on-device storage is better for video recording since you don't have to be as disciplined about moving the original videos off of your iPad to your preferred backup location. For scoring only, Takedown doesn't require much storage -- a 16 GB iPad will work fine. For video recording, suggest a minimum of 32 GB on-device storage.
- Used iPads are plentiful, functional and much cheaper than new. Good sources are Amazon and eBay.